- 1 cleaning mode
- Built in timer
- Slim handle
- Only a 7 day battery life
- Limited box contents
- Better value options exist (see other choices)
The 3 BIG Questions about the Oral-B Pro 600…
If you are short of time, the answers to the following 3 questions should let you know all you need to about the Oral-B Pro 600 (view on Amazon). If we have missed something, let us know in the comments.
If you want more detail, you can read our full Oral B Pro 600 review further down the page or watch our video review. You may also like to check out our Pro 650 Review.
1. Is there anything drastically wrong with this toothbrush?
No, it is a good brush for the money.
We have given the Pro 600 a rating of 5/5,
2. Which other brushes should I consider?
As good as the Pro 600 is, the Fairwill FW-917 is a better buy if you are on a budget. It gives you quite a bit more, for a similar price.
The downside here is Fairywill does not have the same reputation as Oral-B.
If you can stretch the budget a bit, it is our recommendation to go for the Oral-B Pro 2 2500.
Not only is the brush itself a little more powerful, so it can clean better. It offers double the battery life, comes with a pressure sensor built in, to stop you brushing too hard and has a travel case too.
For more advice you may like to read our best electric toothbrush post.
3. Where’s the best place to buy the Pro 600?
Typically we tend to recommend Amazon because it is very competitive on price and has special offers running. It also offers free delivery. However, it’s always worth checking out other retailers as well.
Check the links below for the cheapest price for the Oral-B Pro 600 amongst UK retailers. It’s always worth checking eBay too.
£49.99Save up to 1/2 price on selected electrical dental
Currys PC World£29.99
And now for a bit more detail…
It is the entry level brush within the Pro Series from Oral-B that offers superb value for money and a no nonsense approach. The Pro 600 is about getting the job done simply and effectively without the hassles. If you have sensitive teeth or gums or more advanced dental needs the Pro 600 is not an ideal option, but is well suited to the average user.
Variants of this brush
There are potentially several different variations of this brush, the primary difference being the brush heads included in the box. Some retailers may or may not clearly label the different models, so it is worth being vigilant and understanding the differences:
- Pro 600 CrossAction – This is the Pro 600 with CrossAction brush head
- Pro 600 Sensi UltraThin – This is the Pro 600 with Sensi UltraThin brush head
- Pro 600 3D White – This is the Pro 600 with 3D White brush head
- Pro 600 DeepClean – This is the Pro 600 with FlossAction brush head
- Pro 600 Pink Edition – This is the Pro 600 with CrossAction brush head and Pink/White brush handle
What’s in the Box?
- Braun Oral-B Pro 600 rechargeable toothbrush
- Charging station
- 1 x Brush head (Cross action or 3D White or Floss action subject to which option chosen)
Oral-B Pro 600 Key Features
- Oral-B 3D movement cleaning system (pulsates and sweeps)
- Removes 100% more plaque than a manual brush
- Rechargeable battery
- 1 cleaning mode (Daily Clean)
- Clean timer including quadpacer
Pros & Cons
- 1 cleaning mode – Daily clean is generally the ‘go to’ mode for most users even on more premium brushes with other modes used less frequently. This makes it easy and simple to get up and running.
- A slim profile – The Pro 600 is an easy to use brush that fits comfortably in the hand irrespective of your age and movement in your fingers. Well designed contours and rubber grip stop the brush from slipping when wet.
- Price – The limited box contents and features allow this to be offered at a competitive price.
- Timed Clean – An audible warning when to change quadrant and when the 2 minute cycle is complete.
- 1 Cleaning Mode – The lack of additional cleaning modes means that this may not be ideal for everyone.
- Battery Status – No indication of how much power is in the brush, unless the battery is near to being depleted.
- Battery Life – Up to 7 days life or 28 minutes of usage time which is weak in comparison to a Philips Sonicare brush such as the HX6511/50 which can last up to 3 weeks.
- Limited box contents – You do not get much in the box, no travel case or brush head storage compartment.
Design, Usability, Clean & General Use
What always impresses me about the Pro series from Oral B is that the design and size of the brush handles are such that most people from a child right through to pensioner with limited movement in the hand can normally comfortably hold, grip and use the brush.
More expensive models like the Pro 6000 and 6500 are a bit of an exception to this rule, but the Pro 600 we have been testing keeps this universally acceptable design and form factor.
Weighing in at 130g and no more than 3cm thick the handle fits comfortably in the palm of the hand and a mixture of rubber and plastic grips make for easy grip of the brush even when wet.
The Pro 600 has a length of baby blue coloured rubbers that runs down the front of the brush. It makes it look a little less clinical, in comparison to an all white option.
The rear is constructed from a rigid, gloss white plastic with grips running down from the top to the bottom. Whilst functional using rubber here would be nice as it would feel even better and look more premium.
The raised power button is what starts and stops the one cleaning mode on this brush. A tactile button that sits prominently in the upper third of the brush handle it is not only very visible thanks to white accents, above and below are a series of contoured grips in the rubber to ensure it remains in the hand.
Once the power button has been activated the Daily Clean mode will begin.
A standard brushing cycle is for 2 minutes which is the recommendation from dental professionals.
You should perform a 2 minute clean at least twice a day (remember to floss at least once too).
During the 2 minute cleaning cycle the brush will provide an audible warning via a slight pause in the brushing at 30 second intervals to tell you to change quadrant.
There are 4 quadrants to the mouth. You spend 30 seconds on each quadrant and at the end of the 120 seconds or 2 minutes another audible tone is heard to signify the end of the cycle.
The brush continues to operate at the end of the cycle, unless you turn it off.
Brushing for the full 2 minutes is very important, but just as important if not more so is the right technique. Make sure you learn how to clean your teeth properly.
A common mistake particularly when using a manual brush is applying too much pressure.
The bristles of the brush should virtually skim the surfaces of the teeth. Some brushes have a pressure sensor built in. The Pro 600 does not, but what is important to know is that even when applying too much pressure the speed of the brush head is automatically adjusted to ensure that minimal damage is done.
You should be able to hear the brush motor sound change if you are applying too much pressure.
Whilst the Pro 600 brush handle itself remains consistent (although you may find a Pink rubber in some places), there are some slightly different package contents options when it comes to the brush heads included.
Generally speaking there is only 1 brush head included. Most common is the Cross Action brush head but there are packages that contain a 3D White or Floss Action head.
What you choose is a personal decision and you will likely need to try each or seek advice from your dentist on which is best for you.
The more common Cross Action brush head has a hundred of bristles that are angled at different directions. Scientifically engineered, the Cross Action head aims to ensure the bristles cross over different parts of the tooth surface more effectively than those bristles that are straight and not angled. This does not necessarily mean the Cross Action brush head is better, it is just different and will suit some more than others.
Remember to change your brush head at least once every 3 months. Set a reminder on your phone, in your diary or just check your brush head regularly. You will notice that the bristles will actually change colour and fade as they get older and are used more. If you have not changed your brush head for a while and the bristles look a bit faded, it is probably about time.
With any of the Pro Series, the brush heads are interchangeable so you can pick up alternatives if you prefer. Thus if it came with a Cross Action brush head you need not stick with it.
You can purchase and use:
- Cross Action
- Floss Action
- 3D White
- Precision Clean
By their very nature a toothbrush will get we. The Pro 600 is fully water resistant.
Whilst leaving it at the bottom of a bath might not be the best idea, you can use the brush in the shower if you like without issue and running tap water over it is just fine to keep it clean.
Another little feature which is not marketed at all by Oral B on the Pro 600 is the ‘Sound Connectivity’ feature.
What you need to do is download the Oral-B app onto your iOS or Android device from the App Store. It is simply called ‘Oral-B App’. Once installed go into the app settings and make sure in the that ‘Toothbrush Sound Recognition’ is switched on.
Providing you then have the app open on your smartphone or tablet when you go to clean your teeth, the built in microphones will listen out for the sound of the brush.
As it does, it begins a timer on screen and logs your clean in the app.
The idea is great but there are a few issues in my mind.
- Not all that many of us may have a phone or tablet to hand as we are cleaning our teeth
- The app does not automatically load or begin timing unless you have opened it up
- The app is engineered primarily for the more premium Smart Series brushes (Pro 6000 & 6500), which the 600 is not a part of.
If you are really keen on logging your toothbrush activities then this has some benefit. It may be more interactive for children, as it does have some nice graphics; but the whole process feels like a bit of a hassle.
The logging is a way of changing brushing habits and acting as an educator and tool to improve oral health care but the Bluetooth connectivity on the Pro 6000 and 6500 is more reliable and the brushes can retain data so you do not have to open the app every time you brush your teeth.
As standard a 24 month warranty is provided with the Pro 600, but register the brush online and you get an extra 12 months at no extra cost, so 36 months or 3 years in total.
Summary of Design, Usability, Clean & General Use
- Slim and comfortable brush to hold and use, even if limited hand movement
- 1 cleaning mode – daily clean
- 1 brush head included
- Alternative brush heads available
- Built in quad pacer and 2 minute timer tells you when to change quadrant and finish brushing
- 28 minutes of usage time
- Sound connectivity option that works with an app to record your cleaning
- Water resistant and can be used in the shower
- 2 year warranty as standard, register online for a free additional year.
What you expect in terms of battery life from a toothbrush may different from what someone else expects, but generally speaking a common battery life is around a week, based on one user, making use of the brush twice a day for a total of four minutes.
The Pro 600 is no exception offering up to 14 cleans or 28 minutes of usage time.
If you clean your teeth more than twice a day expect the number of days usage time to be less.
Oral B could have increased the battery life but it would have made the brush thicker and heavier like their premium models.
I do believe this usage time is acceptable. However, Philips electric toothbrushes generally offer a battery life of up to 3 weeks from what is only a marginally thicker brush handle. The battery technology used is slightly different.
When power is low the battery status icon will flash and you will likely feel the decrease in brush power.
Sadly a lovely feature Philips offer is not yet available on Oral B brushes. That is where it automatically powers off at the end of a 2 minute cycle.
In the box when you buy the brush is a fairly basic but functional charging station. The small prong on the top marries up with a recess in the bottom of the brush handle and will charge the brush fully in about 8-12 hours. I tend to leave it on charge overnight. When charging the battery charging icon flashes green.
Connect this charger to the 2 pin socket in the bathroom. If you do not have one, purchase an adapter and you can use with conventional 3 pin mains in the UK. The charger does work on 220-240v.
If you share the brush handle (remember not to share brush heads) then you may want to leave the brush constantly connected to the dock when not in use to keep the battery topped up. Do remember constantly being sat on the charger can reduce the working life of the battery, but doing so does not invalidate the warranty.
To prolong the battery life it is good to run down the battery life completely occasionally.
Summary of Battery Life
- 28 minutes of usage time or 7 days usage based on 2 cleans a day
- Can be left on the charger
- Takes about 8-12 hours to charge fully
- A charger included in the box
- Status icon flashes green when charging and red when battery is low
- Works on 220-240v.
Price & where to buy
The Pro 600 has a recommended retail price of £49.99. You should be able to source at generally speaking 30-50% lower than this. We recommend checking out Amazon as they often have deals running, but it’s also worth checking other retailers before you buy. It’s always worth checking eBay too.
£49.99Save up to 1/2 price on selected electrical dental
Currys PC World£29.99
At the time of writing prices varied from full RRP down to around £25 with most coming in and around £30.
We purchased our model for just £25.
This brush like every other requires replacement brush heads for each user every 3 months. Replacement heads can be purchased in packs of 4 and are priced on average between £11 and £14
Using the average cost (based on one user) and ownership over 3 years (the same as the warranty period), the Pro 600 will cost £59 or just 5p per day to own.
This price does exclude the cost of water, toothpaste and electric to charge it, but you get a rough idea and is one of if not the cheapest decent electric toothbrushes available at the moment.
There is a good chance the brush will last longer than the 3 year period and using the same brush handle but switching heads with other users in your household will only help bring the cost down and drive more value from it.
However, you can consider the Fairywill FW-917, which works out at just 4p per day, but gives you a few more features and box contents.
Please note that all costs quoted are approximates and prices will vary based on location, supplier, time of purchase. These figures should not be relied on as hard fact but as a guide, based on real information at the time of writing.
Summary of Price
- Recommended retail price of £49.99
- Generally available from £25-£35
- Works out at around 5p per day over 3 years
- Share brush handle with another user to extend value
- Better value options exist
Reliability & Long Term Use
Having been using Oral-B brushes for many years personally along with having put many through extensive tests we can be pretty confident in that even if your brush is still functional 4 or 5 years down the line, with a regular rinse and wipe down the brush will stand the test of time.
Plastics and rubber may start to discolour but you should not really expect failure.
The weakest point is the battery. After this time this is most likely to fail due to the constant charge and discharge and internal parts could wear out but anything beyond three years and you are doing well.
Remember, register your brush online to get a 3 year warranty, which is better than most would expect and gives you added peace of mind.
It is cheap, cheerful and functional.
It may sound like there are sacrifices but the performance and build quality are as good as any brush three times the price.
There is no arguing that this is a good electric toothbrush for the majority and you are not wasting money if you buy one.
However, as good as it is, the Oral-B Pro 2 2500 is for most a better buy.
Pricier it is, but it brings more cleaning power, double the battery life, extra cleaning modes and a pressure sensor.
- Up to 100 percent more plaque removal: Round head cleans for healthier gums
- Dynamic movement helps you achieve enhanced cleaning results
- Dentist-inspired round brush head oscillates, rotates and pulsates to break up and remove plaque
- One brushing mode: Daily clean
- Content: One electric toothbrush handle with charger 2 Pin UK Plug, one toothbrush head
Electric Teeth Rating
- Height (without head) – 19.5cm
- Height (with head) – 23cm
- Width – 2.5cm
- Thickness – 3cm
- Weight (without head) – 124g
- Weight (with head) – 130g
All are approximates
- Is the Pro 600 an oscillating brush?
- Yes, with Oral-B 3D motion that oscillates, rotates and pulsates.
- What is daily clean mode?
- This is the comprehensive everyday cleaning mode that works with the provided CrossAction brush head to effectively clean the teeth using the Oral-B 3D oscillating, rotating and pulsating technology to clean the teeth and remove up to 100% more plaque than a manual brush.
- Does it have any other cleaning modes?
- No, it has just one cleaning mode Daily Clean. For more cleaning modes consider the Pro 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 or 6000.
- What brush head does it come with and what alternative ones can be used?
- The brush head that is supplied will depend on the version purchase. The Pro 600 is sold with a Cross Action, Floss Action or 3D White head option in the box. Irrespective of which one you purchase you can change the heads with any others on offer from Oral-B. There are many that work with the brush handle. There are 6 main brush head options that include Cross Action, Floss Action, 3D White, Sensitive, Precision Clean and TriZone.
- Does the Pro 600 have Bluetooth?
- No, it does not.
- Does the Pro 600 have sound connectivity?
- Yes, it does although it is not advertised with it.
- Does the Pro 600 come with a warranty & how long is it?
- If purchased new from an approved retailer the Pro 600 will come with a 2 year warranty which can be extended by a further year to 3 in total if you register the brush online on Oral-B’s website.
- Does the Pro 600 have a built in timer?
- Yes. Often referred to as the quadpacer; subject to the cleaning mode the brush will provide an audible warning through a slight pause in the brushing mode to tell you to change quadrants. There are 4 quadrants to the mouth, and brushing is normally for 2 minutes. The timer will active at 30 second intervals, with a different sound at the end of the 2 minutes. There is no visual timer included, although you can see the pause in the brushing mode if watching the brush head itself.
- How long does the battery last?
- The battery lasts up to 28 minutes, which if used on the standard daily clean mode is 7 days based on 2 cleans per day.
- Does it come with a smart wireless guide?
- No, the Pro 600 does not have a wireless smart guide included. Consider the Pro 5000 for this.
- Does it come with a charger?
- Yes, a charging station is included with the Pro 600.
- The charger is 2 pin, how can I use it?
- The charger is a 2 pin/prong charger designed to be used on voltages of 220-240 volts. It is a 2 pin charger suitable for connecting to shaver sockets found in many bathrooms in the UK & Europe. If you do not have a shaver socket, you can purchase an adapter that will allow the charger to be connected to a standard 3 pin UK mains socket.
- Can this be fixed to a wall?
- The Pro 600 charging station or brush head holder has not been designed to be fixed to a wall.
- Can I use the Pro 600 in the shower?
- Yes. The Pro 600 is waterproof so if you choose you can use it in the shower
- Does it come with a travel case?
- No, a travel case is not included..
Oral-B Pro 600 Electric Toothbrush User Guide/Manual
Do you own or have you used the Oral-B Pro 600?
Are there certain features that you really like or dislike?
Let us know what you think about this brush and let others who may well be considering purchasing one know your opinions before they do.
Last updated: 2019-02-18 at 12:23 // Source: Amazon Associates