***ATTENTION – PLEASE READ***
The Pro 1000 has not been officially launched in the UK, so it is only available when imported and sold on eBay or Amazon by a third-party.
- 1 cleaning mode
- Built in timer
- Slim handle
- Battery life
- Box contents
- No pressure sensor to alert you if you are brushing to hard
The 3 BIG Questions about the Oral-B Pro 1000…
If you are short of time, the answers to the following 3 questions should let you know all you need to about the Pro 1000 CrossAction electric toothbrush. If we have missed something, let us know in the comments.
If you want more detail, you can read the full review Oral-B Pro 1000 review further down the page.
1. Is there anything drastically wrong with this toothbrush?
No, it is a good brush which we have given a rating of 4/5.
We look at the pros and cons further down the page, but one of the main drawbacks is also one of the pros to this brush. It has just one cleaning mode.
2. Which other brushes should I consider in this price range?
The 2500 is a little more capable than the 1000, but is a excellent purchase given what it offers and the price it sells for.
The Sonicare EasyClean is an equally featured brush, to the 1000 with a better battery life.
3. Where’s the best place to buy the Pro 1000?
The 1000 can really only be purchased online in the UK, through outlets such as Amazon and eBay. Or alternatively from US-based websites that ship to the UK. Why? This is because the Pro 1000 has not been officially launched in the UK and is a model designed for the USA primarily.
The 1000 has also been launched in some other countries but may have different specifications again to the US model. The UK equivalent to the 1000 is the Pro 600.
If you are particularly after this model then Amazon or eBay are usually the best locations to purchase from, but for the price you’ll pay you’ll likely be better off considering the other recommendations listed above.
Why should you listen to us?
Electric Teeth is an independent organisation with a mission to simplify dental health.
Our team is a mixture of consumers and dental professionals.
We strive to create honest, informative content, telling you the facts, good or bad.
We are not sponsored by big brands or healthcare companies. Our site is funded by affiliate revenue and ads, but we only recommend products that we have tested and truly believe to be worth your money.
Why not watch this short video to find out all about us?
And now for a bit more detail…
Whilst available in the UK through select sellers, the Pro 1000 is a model that has been manufactured and packaged for the US and other select markets. It has not been officially launched in the UK. The UK equivalent is the Pro 600.
Do be aware of this when purchasing as the power adapter supplied will not be correct for UK sockets unless an adapter is provided by the seller. The cost of the Pro 600 is likely to be better than the 1000 due to the costs added for import.
Part of their Pro Series, the 1000 looks good, feels good in the hand, cleans well and offers reasonable battery life without being too expensive.
The Pro 1000 is about getting the job done simply and effectively without the hassles. If you have sensitive teeth or gums or more advanced dental needs the Pro 1000 is not an ideal option, but is well suited to the average user.
What’s in the Box?
- Braun Oral-B Pro 1000 rechargeable toothbrush
- Charging station
- 1 x CrossAction brush head
Oral-B Pro 1000 Key Features
- Oral-B 3D movement cleaning system (pulsates and sweeps)
- Removes 300% more plaque than a manual brush
- Rechargeable battery
- 1 cleaning modes (Daily Clean)
- Pressure sensor
- Clean timer including quadpacer
Pros and Cons
- Design – The Pro 1000 is a nice size, not too slim, not too thick and comes in two colour options of blue/white and black/white. It has rubber and plastic grip so it is easy to hold even if wet.
- Timer – There is a timer built in that tells you to change the area of the mouth you are cleaning and when the 2 minute clean is over.
- 1 cleaning mode – No nonsense, simple to use cleaning mode. Just switch the brush on and begin cleaning. Simple to get going and cleans well.
- 1 cleaning mode – Just one cleaning mode means this is not great if you have sensitive teeth and gums or want to whiten your teeth.
- Battery Life – Up to 7 days life or 28 minutes of usage time is not as good as Philips Sonicare models.
- Limited box contents – You do not get much in the box, no travel case or brush head storage compartment, just the Pro 1000, brush head and charging stand.
- Pressure sensor – There is no visible pressure sensor, meaning you can’t easily tell if you are brushing too hard.
Design, Usability, Clean & General Use
If you have used an electric toothbrush before, you may have an opinion on the design of the toothbrush.
Personally I feel the Pro 1000 is pretty spot on and Oral-B have done a good job with how it looks and feels.
Some brushes can look a bit too clinical.
The Pro 1000 comes in 2 different colour options. Your choice is a blue and white handle and a black and white.
The main body of the brush is made from a white glossy plastic, but on the front of the handle is a rubber grip that runs down the full length of the handle. It is this that is either a light blue or black in colour. You have the choice when you buy the brush. The most common is the blue.
Not too thick or not too slim, you can easily grip the brush in hand and even if you have limited hand movement I think it works well as the power button is within easy reach and does not require too much pressure to turn it on. That said it is not that easy to accidentally turn it on, there is some resistance.
It is heavier than a manual toothbrush because it has a battery and a motor inside the handle but you soon get used to the weight and the rubber grip on the front, along with the raised plastic ridges on the back of the handle make it easy to grip onto, even if the brush has got wet as you brush your teeth.
The raised power button is what starts and stops the one cleaning mode on this brush has a white colour accent to it, so it stands out against the handle. Once pressed the Daily Clean brushing mode will begin. Press the power button again to turn the Pro 1000 off.
Your dentist will generally recommend a 2 minute clean of your teeth twice a day.
A great feature built into this electric toothbrush is a timer.
During the 2 minute cleaning cycle the brush will provide an audible warning via a slight pause in the motor at 30 second intervals to tell you to change quadrant. Remember to listen out for this.
What is a quadrant?
There are 4 quadrants to the mouth.
You have the top right, the top left, bottom right and bottom left.
The idea is that you spend 30 seconds brushing each quadrant. When you hear the pause in the brush motor you change to the next quadrant.
At the end of the 120 seconds (2 minutes) another audible tone is heard from the brush as the motor is paused again. This tells you that you have now completed 2 minutes of cleaning and you can stop.
This is really helpful and only when you get used to having it do you miss it.
Let’s face it brushing your teeth can be boring. It is easy to get distracted, not brushing for 2 minutes and not spending the right amount of time brushing all areas of the mouth. This built in timer really helps with that.
So, even though the brush tells you via the change in sound that the 2 minute clean is over, it will continue working. If you want to brush for longer you can (be careful though, too much brushing can be bad for you) otherwise just press the power button and turn the brush off.
I don’t want to preach to you like a dentist might, but I would like to remind you that brushing for the full 2 minutes is very important; but just as important if not more so is the right technique.
Make sure you learn how to clean your teeth properly.
The included CrossAction brush head helps clean your teeth and gums really well and can remove up to 300% more plaque than a manual toothbrush.
Having been using this brush for some time my teeth do feel clean and fresh after every clean.
Another common mistake particularly when using a manual brush is applying too much pressure.
The bristles of the brush should virtually skim the surfaces of the teeth. Some brushes have a pressure sensor built in. The Pro 1000 sort of does.
Some brushes like the Pro 2000 have a visible pressure sensor, this is a light on the brush handle that comes on and shines a bright red as a warning to you that you are brushing too hard and to stop.
The Pro 1000 does not have this visible pressure sensor, but the internal motor does know if you are brushing too hard and will reduce the amount of power it sends to the brush head until the pressure is relieved.
Listen out for the change in sound from the brush. If you are brushing too hard it will sound like it is straining, just lighten up on that to ensure you clean properly and don’t do too much long term damage.
In the box with the Pro 1000 you will normally have supplied 1 brush head. This is known as the CrossAction brush head.
This is the newest design brush head from Oral-B and has been made to give a really great all round clean.
It has hundreds of bristles that are angled at different directions to ensure the bristles cross over different parts of the tooth surface more effectively than those bristles that are straight and not angled.
You will notice that the brush head is removable. It pulls on and pushes back on. Not all that much pressure is needed but you will likely need two hands to do this.
Remember to change your brush head at least once every 3 months. Set a reminder on your phone, in your diary or just check your brush head regularly.
You will notice that the blue bristles will actually change colour and fade to virtually white as they get older and are used more. If you have not changed your brush head for a while and the bristles look a bit faded, it is probably about time.
Leaving the brush head on for longer than 3 months can be just as damaging.
With any of the Pro Series brushes from Oral-B, the brush heads are interchangeable so you can pick up alternatives if you prefer. The Pro 1000 is no exception, so although it comes with a Cross Action brush head you can buy and use any of the following:
- Cross Action
- Floss Action
- Pro White/3D White
- Precision Clean
- Deep Sweep/TriZone.
- Dual Clean
Some of these brush heads work best with specific cleaning modes available on some brushes, but they do all work with the Daily Clean available on the Pro 1000.
If you want to know more about these brush heads and how they are different, you can read more about them in our Oral-B brush heads comparison.
The Pro 1000 is water resistant. The head and handle will get wet and covered in saliva and toothpaste.
Generally speaking we advise using the brush in the shower or bath, but you could. DO NOT sit or immerse the brush in water though as this will potentially damage it beyond repair.
To keep the brush in good condition wipe it down regularly and towel dry to get excess moisture off the brush handle.
Sealed inside the brush handle is the battery and the electronic components that keep the brush running.
On the front of the brush handle too are 2 icons, a battery and charging icon. These will light up green when charging and will give you a guide as to how much power is in the internal battery. If it starts lighting up or flashing red, it is really time to recharge it.
You will normally get about 28 minutes or 7 days use from it.
A charging stand comes provided in the box. Plug that in and sit the brush on the stand and let it charge. It will take 8-12 hours to charge the battery fully normally. More on this in the battery life section of the review.
For the price of the Pro 1000 you can’t complain too much about what is offered here, but do be aware more expensive models do come with advantages such as having a travel case included. Storage compartments for brush heads that are not in use, better battery life, more cleaning modes and even Bluetooth connectivity!
As standard a 24 month warranty is provided with the Pro 1000, so you are covered if something goes wrong.
BE AWARE. As a model not officially launched in the UK you may have issues with claiming warranty support should the brush fail. The original seller may help but Oral-B have the right to refuse service here in the UK as it is a model launched in the USA and select other countries, not the UK. It never hurts to ask though. Do also be aware that the charger provided will likely be a 2 PIN US connector supporting 110-130v which is not suitable for the 240V here in the UK. The seller may include an adapter.
Summary of Design, Usability, Clean & General Use
- Slim and comfortable brush to hold and use, even if limited hand movement
- 1 cleaning mode – daily clean
- 1 brush head included
- Alternative brush heads available
- Built in quad pacer and 2 minute timer tells you when to change quadrant and finish brushing
- 28 minutes of usage time
- Water resistant
- 2 year warranty as standard
I said earlier in the review how the battery life of this brush is a negative.
The internal battery lasts on average for 28 minutes which is 7 days, based on 2 x 2 minute cleans each day.
However whilst a weeks battery life is not terrible, the Sonicare 2 Series offers 2 weeks of battery life for a brush that is about the same price!
It would be nice not to have to worry about charging the brush so often, but unless you travel frequently this may not be a big issue.
Whilst the Pro 1000 can last for up to 7 days, if you brush for longer than 2 minutes or leave the brush running, the usage time will be less.
Whilst the icon on the front of the brush will light up green when there is good power in the battery, it will flash red when there is not much power remaining. You may get through 2 cleans with it flashing red.
As the battery depletes the power to the brush head remains the same until right at the end where it gets weaker and just stops.
The red flashing light is ok, but it would be nice if you got more of an idea of how much power was left if the icon was split into 3 or 4 sections so you could know that you have roughly 50% left. Features like this are available on the more premium models.
Oral-B could have increased the battery life but it would have made the brush thicker and heavier like their premium models.
I do believe this usage time is acceptable. However, Philips electric toothbrushes generally offer a battery life of up to 2-3 weeks from what is only a marginally thicker brush handle. The battery technology used is slightly different.
In the box when you buy the brush is a fairly basic but functional charging station. The small prong on the top marries up with a recess in the bottom of the brush handle and will charge the brush fully in about 8-12 hours. I would tend to leave it on charge overnight. When charging the battery charging icon flashes green.
If you share the brush handle (remember not to share brush heads) then you may want to leave the brush constantly connected to the dock when not in use to keep the battery topped up.
It is quite safe to leave the brush on charge most of the time. However, it is advised that at least every 6 months to completely discharge or run down the power in the brush.
Summary of battery life
- 28 minutes of usage time or 7 days usage based on 2 cleans a day
- Can be left on the charger
- Takes about 8-12 hours to charge fully
- A charger included in the box
- Status icon flashes green when charging and red when battery is low
Price & Where To Buy
Given the fact that the Pro 1000 is not a model originally designed for the UK market it is difficult to speak accurately about price. Whilst it is more than possible to purchase it here in the UK, prices vary wildly.
In the USA the Pro 1000 has a price of up for $65 retail. That is about £50. In all reality it actually sells for about $40-45 which is about £30-35.
The good news is that the UK equivalent is the Pro 600 which actually retails for £25-30 on average, although it does have a £50 recommended retail price.
|Oral-B Pro 600||4,094 Reviews||£49.99 £23.95||View on Amazon|
Using the average cost (based on one user) and ownership over 3 years, the Pro 1000 will cost £71.50 or just 7p per dayto own.
This price does exclude the cost of water, toothpaste and electric to charge it, but you get a rough idea and is one of if not the cheapest decent electric toothbrushes available at the moment.
It is highly likely that the Pro 600 will last longer than the 3 year time period we have priced this over but we understand this to be a common time period for people to keep an electric toothbrush for. Using the same brush handle but switching heads with other users in your household will only help bring the cost down and drive more value from it.
A limited box contents has its advantages when it comes to price: more advanced brushes with better box contents will be at least be a few cents more per day to own.
*Please note that all costs quoted are approximates and prices will vary based on location, supplier, time of purchase. These figures should not be relied on as hard fact but as a guide, based on real information at the time of writing.
Summary of Price & Where To Buy
- Recommended retail price of £50 for the UK equivalent Pro 600
- Generally available from £30-35 for the Pro 600
- Works out at around £0.07 per day over 3 years
- Share brush handle with another user to extend value
- One of the best value options available
Reliability & Long Term Use
Having been using Oral-B brushes for many years personally along with having put many through extensive tests we can be pretty confident in that even if your brush is still functional 4 or 5 years down the line, with a regular rinse and wipe down the brush will stand the test of time.
Plastics and rubber may start to discolour but you should not really expect failure.
The weakest point is the battery. After this time this is most likely to fail due to the constant charge and discharge and internal parts could wear out but anything beyond three years and you are doing well.
The Pro 1000 comes with a 2 year warranty that covers and mechanical faults which gives some peace of mind. However with the UK variant, the Pro 600 you get a 2 year warranty, plus the option to extend it to 3 years by registering online.
There is a lot to like about the Pro 1000.
It has a very good daily clean mode, the teeth feel clean and refreshed after each brushing session.
It comes in a choice of colours, looks smart and has an acceptable battery life, even if Philips brushes are generally better.
What you miss out on is more features that the likes of the Oral-B Pro 2 2500 offer.
Given the price differential, it is a worthwhile upgrade for most.
Unless you need more features or want to spend more money, then the Pro 1000 / Pro 600 will serve you very well.
- Up to 100 Percent more plaque removal: Round head cleans better for healthier gums
- Dynamic movement helps you achieve enhanced cleaning results
- Dentist-inspired round brush head oscillates, rotates and pulsates to break up and remove plaque
- One brushing mode: Daily clean
- Oral-B, the #1 brand used by dentists worldwide
Electric Teeth Rating
Height (without head) – 19.5cm
Height (with head) – 23cm
Width – 2.5cm
Thickness – 3cm
Weight (without head) – 124g
Weight (with head) – 130g
- Is the Pro 1000 an oscillating brush?
- Yes, with Oral-B 3D motion that oscillates, rotates and pulsates.
- What is daily clean mode?
- This is the comprehensive everyday cleaning mode that works with the provided CrossAction brush head to effectively clean the teeth using the Oral-B 3D oscillating, rotating and pulsating technology to clean the teeth and remove up to 100% more plaque than a manual brush.
- Does it have any other cleaning modes?
- No, it has just one cleaning mode Daily Clean. For more cleaning modes consider the Pro 3000, 5000 & 7000.
- What brush head does it come with and what alternative ones can be used?
- The brush head that is supplied will depend on the version purchase. The Pro 1000 is sold with a Cross Action, Floss Action or 3D White head option in the box. Irrespective of which one you purchase you can change the heads with any others on offer from Oral-B. There are many that work with the brush handle. There are 6 main brush head options that include Cross Action, Floss Action, Pro White/3D White, Sensitive, Precision Clean and Deep Sweep/TriZone.
- Does the Pro 1000 have Bluetooth?
- No, it does not.
- Does the Pro 1000 come with a warranty & how long is it?
- If purchased new from an approved retailer the Pro 1000 will come with a 2 year warranty. Being a US or other region brush this warranty may not be supported in the UK. The UK equivalent mode, the Pro 600 offers up to 3 years warranty.
- Does the Pro 1000 have a built in timer?
- Yes. Often referred to as the quadpacer; subject to the cleaning mode the brush will provide an audible warning through a slight pause in the brushing mode to tell you to change quadrants. There are 4 quadrants to the mouth, and brushing is normally for 2 minutes. The timer will active at 30 second intervals, with a different sound at the end of the 2 minutes. There is no visual timer included, although you can see the pause in the brushing mode if watching the brush head itself.
- How long does the battery last?
- The battery lasts up to 28 minutes, which if used on the standard daily clean mode is 7 days based on 2 cleans per day.
- Does it come with a smart wireless guide?
- No, the Pro 1000 does not have a wireless smart guide included. Consider the Pro 7000 for this.
- Does it come with a charger?
- Yes, a charging station is included with the Pro 1000. Be aware it will likely be a 110-130v charger than the required 240v for the UK, but the seller may include an adapter.
- Can this be fixed to a wall?
- The Pro 1000 charging station or brush head holder has not been designed to be fixed to a wall.
- Can I use the Pro 1000 in the shower?
- Yes, you can. The brush is water resistant. Avoid prolonged immersion and do not leave the brush sat in water.
- Does it come with a travel case?
- No, a travel case is not included.
Do you own or have you used the Oral-B Pro 1000?
Are there certain features that you really like or dislike?
Let us know what you think about this brush and let others who may well be considering purchasing one know your opinions before they do.