The 3 BIG Questions about the Pro 4000...
If you are short of time, the answers to the following 3 questions should let you know all you need to about the Pro 4000.
If we have missed something, let us know in the comments. If you want more detail, you can read our full Oral B Pro 4000 review further down the page or watch our video review.
To provide the best possible insight, we review a wide range of brushes and frequently update our recommendations.
1. Is there anything drastically wrong with this toothbrush?
No, its a good brush which we have given a rating of 4/5. We look at the pros and cons further down the page, but one of the main drawbacks is the battery life, but the benefit is the weight and size. The Pro 5000 offers slightly more features and is a better value package in our mind for what you get.
2. Which other brushes should I consider?
The Pro 6000 would be the best alternative is you require the additional cleaning modes offered by the 4000. This is considerably more expensive however. The Pro 5000 offers a travel case (see our 4000 vs 5000 post for a more detailed comparison), and smart wireless guide for an additional £15 (on average). If you do not need or could sacrifice the whitening and sensitive modes offered by the 4000 the Pro 2000 would work out to be considerably more cost effective.
We have put together a series of lists which look at budgets and user needs which could help you in making a decision. Take a look at these lists in our best electric toothbrush roundup.
3. Where’s the best place to buy the Pro 4000?
Typically we tend to recommend Amazon because it is very competitive on price and has special offers running. It also offers free delivery. However, it’s always worth checking out other retailers as well. Below are the Amazon links to the three brushes we’ve mentioned above – check the prices of all three and then make your decision.
Oral B Pro 5000
Oral B Pro 4000
Not available on Amazon US at time of writing
Oral B Pro 6000
And now for a bit more detail.…
A mid range electric toothbrush the Pro 4000 costs more but offers more without breaking the bank. Find a good deal on a good day and you can actually pick this brush up at a bargain price.
What's in the Box?
- Braun Oral-B Pro 4000 rechargeable toothbrush
- Charging station with brush head storage
- 3 x Brush heads (CrossAction, Sensitive & 3D White)
Oral-B Pro 4000 Key Features
- Oral-B 3D movement cleaning system (pulsates and sweeps)
- Removes 100% more plaque than a manual brush
- Rechargeable battery
- Visible pressure sensor
- Clean timer including quadpacer
- 4 cleaning modes (daily, gum care, whitening & sensitive)
Pros & Cons
- 4 cleaning modes - Daily clean is generally the ‘go to’ mode unless you require the added benefits that the gum care, whitening and sensitive offer.
- Brush heads - 3 brush heads are included so you can make the most of the different cleaning modes from the moment you open the box.
- Brush head storage - A storage container for the brush heads is provided.
- A slim profile - The Pro 4000 is an easy to use brush that fits comfortably in the hand irrespective of your age and movement in your fingers.
- Well designed contours and rubber grip stop the brush from slipping when wet.
- Pressure Sensor - On the upper rear of the brush handle, it illuminates when too much pressure is applied and acts a visual indicator to the error in your technique.
- Timed Clean - An audible warning when to change quadrant and when the 2 minute cycle is complete.
- Battery Status - No indication of how much power is in the brush, unless the battery is near to being depleted.
- Battery Life - Up to 7 days life or 28 minutes of usage time which is weak in comparison to a Philips Sonicare brush such as the HX6511/50.
- No Travel Case - If you travel regularly the 4000 does not come with a case in the box.
- Usage Time - You can get 7 days or 28 minutes of usage out of the brush which is less than some others, but not bad considering the slim profile.
- Timer - There is no physical timer or illumination to tell you to change quadrant or that the clean is complete
Design, Usability, Clean & General Use
Weighing in at 130g and no more than 3cm thick the handle fits comfortably in the palm of the hand and a mixture of rubber and plastic grips make for easy grip of the brush even when wet.
A length of royal blue coloured rubbers adorns the front of the brush, giving it a touch of class and less of a clinical dentist look to it.
The rear is constructed from a rigid, gloss white plastic with grips running down from the top to the bottom.
A strong white accent amongst the blue draws the eye to the raised power button which although requires a fairly firm push, gives a good response when pressed.
On the upper rear side is an orange plastic accent which is the illuminating pressure sensor. Inside sits an LED that illuminates when too much pressure is being applied to the brush head during brushing.
When it illuminates you should reduce the pressure applied to the teeth and the LED will go out when the pressure has reduced sufficiently. What is important to know is that even when applying too much pressure the speed of the brush head is automatically adjusted to ensure that minimal damage is done.
The Pro 4000 unlike the TriZone 4000 has a different style of brush head.
The Pro series uses an oscillating rotating technology which is generally more popular than the sweeping motion employed in a TriZone brush. If you prefer the brush head style of the TriZone series, you can purchase one and pop this on the Pro 4000 handle.
The Pro 4000 and TriZone 4000 are essentially identical aside from the brush head that comes in the box and the colour of the handle. The brush heads be it a Pro or TriZone head works with either handle – you can read more about this and see the different brush heads that are available in our pro vs trizone post.
An electric brush like this is capable of clearing up to 100% more plaque than a manual toothbrush and can seriously assist in your oral hygiene routine.
The 4000 is desirable in that it offers 4 different cleaning modes. These are:
- Daily Clean
- Gum Care
Each mode works by adjusting the power and time of clean in conjunction with different brush heads to improve your oral hygiene routine and assist you in achieving the results you want.
Why the different brush heads?
The different brush heads help achieve the aim of the clean. You wouldn’t use shampoo normally to wash your body in the shower, so the same mantra applies here, it is about the right tool for the job.
The included CrossAction head is used for the daily clean and gum care mode, whilst the sensitive and 3D white work best for the other brushing modes.
How to switch cleaning modes
When it comes to beginning the clean, with the appropriate brush head fitted you can begin with a single press of the power button.
Press again to get to the next cleaning mode. Once you have cycled through them all the brush will turn off on the next press, or with a slightly longer press you can turn the brush off without cycling through all the modes.
When done, you can store the brush head along with others you have in the compartment that comes provided with the Pro 4000. It accommodates up to 4 brush heads, 3 come in the box.
There should be a visual indicator for cleaning mode
I would like to see some form of visual indicator on the brush handle of which cleaning mode is being used. It is not essential, but it would be preferential and make things a little easier.
Depending on what cleaning mode you are in will depend on how long the brushing cycle is. For example, whitening tends to be 3 minutes compared to the 2 of a daily clean. Whichever cycle you are in the brush will provide an audible warning via a slight pause in the brushing at the desired intervals to tell you to change quadrant.
There are 4 quadrants to the mouth, so taking a daily clean cycle, you spend 30 seconds on each quadrant and at the end of the 120 seconds or 2 minutes another audible tone is heard to signify the end of the cycle.
The brush continues to operate at the end of the cycle, unless you turn it off, something a Philips Sonicare brush does not do; it powers off automatically.
Any toothbrush gets wet and the Pro 4000 has been designed to survive exposure to water, moisture, saliva and toothpaste.
The internal components are sealed inside the brush and watertight so no harm can come from exposure to water.
As standard a 24 month warranty is provided, but register the brush online and you get an extra 12 months at no extra cost, so 36 months or 3 years in total.
To keep the brush in good working order, do give it a good clean now and again with warm water with a mild soap and scrub off any grime.
Summary of Design, Usability, Clean & General Use
- Slim and comfortable to hold
- Blue rubber grip on the front and hard, plastic ridges on the rear
- Accented white power button that requires a firm push
- Pressure sensor on the rear of the brush that illuminates red when too much pressure is applied
- 4 cleaning modes – daily clean, gum care, sensitive and whitening
- Teeth feel cleaner
- 3 brush heads included
- Holder for up to 4 brush heads
- Alternative brush heads available
- Built in quad pacer and 2 minute timer tells you when to change quadrant and finish brushing
- Water resistant and can be used in the shower
- 3 year warranty if you register online for a free additional year over the 2 included as standard
A bit of a catch 22 is that from a higher end brush like this, you would expect a better battery life, but better battery life means a bigger battery which means a bigger brush.
So, Oral-B went with the slimmer, more comfortable design, which I believe is the right choice.
Based on the daily clean mode of 2 minutes twice a day you can get 7 days or 28 minutes of usage time from this brush. Brushing for longer or using other modes may reduce the number of days use, but you can get up to 28 minutes of brushing from it.
When power is low the battery status icon will flash and you will likely feel the decrease in brush power.
How to charge it
Included in the box is a charging station which is designed to fit into the brush head compartment that is included. Connect this charger to the 2 pin socket in the bathroom. If you do not have one, purchase an adapter and you can use with conventional 3 pin mains in the UK.
If you share the brush handle (remember not to share brush heads) then you may want to leave the brush constantly connected to the dock when not in use to keep the battery topped up. Do remember constantly being sat on the charger can reduce the working life of the battery, but doing so does not invalidate the warranty.
To prolong the battery life it is good to run down the battery life completely occasionally.
Summary of Battery Life
- 28 minutes of usage time or 7 days usage based on 2 cleans a day
- Can be left on the charger
- A charger included in the box
- Battery status icon gives an indication of battery power
- Works on 220-240 volts
- Battery life could still be better
The Pro 4000 has a recommended retail price of £109.99. Do not pay this!
Generally speaking you should be able to pick this up online from £55, depending on the retailer and time of year. At the time of writing the Pro 4000 was available on Amazon for £49.99*.
We actually managed to pick one up at just £25 when a retailer was running a special promotion.
The lack of the travel case and the battery life are my biggest criticisms of the Pro 4000 but that is being picky really as I have already explained the implications of better battery life.
Here at Electric Teeth we like to work out the cost of ownership over the potential 3 year warranty period.
This brush requires replacement brush heads for each user every 3 months. Replacement heads can be purchased in packs of 4 and are priced on average between £11 and £14
Using the average cost (based on one user), the Pro 4000 will cost £91 or just 8p per day to own. This does exclude the cost of water, toothpaste and electric to charge it, but you get a rough idea.
There is a good chance the brush will last longer, which means you will obtain even better value from it.
* Please note that all costs quoted are approximates and prices will vary based on location, supplier, time of purchase. These figures should not be relied on as hard fact but as a guide, based on real information at the time of writing.
Summary of Price
- Recommended retail price of £109.99
- Available for around £55
- Works out at around 8p per day over 3 years
- Share brush handle with another user to extend value
Reliability & Long Term Use
Grime always builds up to a point on any brush but a regular rinse and wipe down will ensure the life of the brush is prolonged.
The 3 years warranty, providing you register online gives peace of mind that for quite some time should something go wrong it will be covered.
Oral-B make millions of brushes and have been doing for years, The design, material and life of these have been tested.
My very own Oral-B brush, a Triumph 5000 is still going strong and that is over 4 years old.
Comfortable and easy to use the Pro 4000 may look and feel the part, but if picked up at full retail price or even at the average sale price it is a little on the expensive side for what you get.
For quite a bit less (unless you get the 4000 at a brilliant price) or not much more you can get the Pro 2000 or 5000 which offer in our opinion generally better value all round. You may also like to take a look at our best electric toothbrush post, which lists all the reviews we’ve completed.
That said, if you feel the 4000 is the one for you, then there is little to fault with it aside from price and the lack of a travel case in the box.
Electric Teeth Rating
- Height (without head) – 19.5cm
- Height (with head) – 23cm
- Width – 2.5cm
- Thickness – 3cm
- Weight (without head) – 130g
- Weight (with head) – 124g
All are approximates
Oral-B Pro 4000 Brush Heads
With the Pro 4000 you get 3 brush heads included, a Cross Action, 3D White and Sensitive.
You can then change the brush head to one of many on offer from Oral-B. There are 6 main brush head options that are compatible with the Pro 4000, these are:
Each brush head is designed differently and engineered to achieve different results that work with some electric toothbrush handles more effectively than others.
You can find out more information along with a comparison of each brush heads in our post comparing Oral-B replacement heads.
Frequently Asked Question & Answers
- Is the Pro 4000 an oscillating brush?
- Yes, with Oral-B 3D motion that oscillates, rotates and pulsates.
- What is daily clean mode?
- This is the comprehensive everyday cleaning mode that works with the provided CrossAction brush head to effectively clean the teeth using the Oral-B 3D oscillating, rotating and pulsating technology to clean the teeth and remove up to 100% more plaque than a manual brush.
- What is gum care mode?
- Using a lower speed and power output through the brush head in conjunction with the provided Cross Action to clean the teeth and massage gums, stimulating blood flow and assisting in reducing sensitivity in the gums when brushing.
- What is sensitive mode?
- A gentle yet thorough cleaning mode that combined with the sensitive brush head works to remove bacteria and plaque from sensitive areas of the mouth.
- What is whitening mode?
- A mode engineered to offer a polishing effect on the teeth as if you were at the dentist. Suitable for occasional or everyday use it works ideally with a 3D White brush head to make teeth look whiter and shine.
- Does it have any other cleaning modes?
- No, the Pro 4000 has 4 cleaning modes. For more consider the Pro 5000, 6000 or 6500.
- What brush head does it come with and what alternative ones can be used?
- With the Pro 4000 you get 3 brush heads included, a Cross Action, 3D White and Sensitive. You can change the head with any others on offer from Oral-B. There are many that work with the brush handle. There are 6 main brush head options that include Cross Action, Floss Action, 3D White, Sensitive, Precision Clean and TriZone.
- Does the Pro 4000 have a pressure sensor?
- Yes, it does.
- Does the Pro 4000 have Bluetooth?
- No, it does have Bluetooth connectivity.
- Does the Pro 4000 have sound connectivity?
- Yes, it does although it is not advertised with it.
- Does the Pro 4000 come with a warranty & how long is it?
- If purchased new from an approved retailer the Pro 4000 will come with a 2 year warranty which can be extended by a further year to 3 in total if you register the brush online on Oral-B’s website.
- Does the Pro 4000 have a built in timer?
- Yes. Often referred to as the quadpacer; subject to the cleaning mode the brush will provide an audible warning through a slight pause in the brushing mode to tell you to change quadrants. There are 4 quadrants to the mouth, and brushing is normally for 2 minutes. The timer will active at 30 second intervals, with a different sound at the end of the 2 minutes.
- How long does the battery last?
- The battery lasts up to 28 minutes, which if used on the standard daily clean mode is 7 days based on 2 cleans per day.
- Does it come with a smart wireless guide?
- No, the Pro 4000 does not have a wireless smart guide included.
- Does it come with a charger?
- Yes, a charging station is included with the Pro 4000.
- The charger is 2 pin, how can I use it?
- The charger is a 2 pin/prong charger designed to be used on voltages of 220-240 volts. It is a 2 pin charger suitable for connecting to shaver sockets found in many bathrooms in the UK & Europe. If you do not have a shaver socket, you can purchase an adapter that will allow the charger to be connected to a standard 3 pin UK mains socket.
- Can this be fixed to a wall?
- The Pro 4000 charging station or brush head holder has not been designed to be fixed to a wall.
- Can I use the Pro 4000 in the shower?
- Yes. The Pro 4000 is waterproof so if you choose you can use it in the shower
- Does it come with a travel case?
- No, a travel case is not included in the box.
Oral-B Pro 4000 Electric Toothbrush User Guide/Manual
Do you own or have you used the Oral-B Pro 4000?
Are there certain features that you really like or dislike?
Let us know what you think about this brush and let others who may well be considering purchasing one know your opinions before they do.